CARAVAN FARM THEATRE
NATIONAL PLAYWRIGHTS RETREAT
May 17 – 26, 2019
Entering its second year, the National Playwrights Retreat is a residence retreat for theatre artists to write and connect with other creators during their creative process. We believe in the positive impact of the rural landscape and lifestyle on the creative process; the value of fellowship in the creative process; and that Caravan Farm Theatre, as a rural, farm based arts organization, can be a resource for all Canadian Theatre Artists.
Call for Applications
Who should apply:
Playwrights and theatre creators who have had at least one professional production who are looking for time and space to focus on conceiving and/or writing an upcoming project.
What is provided:
– A room of one’s own. Each participant will get a cabin to live in during the retreat week. There are washroom and shower facilities on the Farm and the Cookshack is a great meeting place with wi-fi.
– Food to fuel the imagination. A cook will create delicious and healthy lunches and dinners for us. The Okanagan is a wonderful place for food! Basic fixings will be available for breakfast and there will always be coffee ready.
– Time and space for you to write and create. In addition to the cabins we will find places on the Farm for you to work with views and fresh air.
– Dramaturgical support, if requested, from dramaturg Vicki Stroich. Vicki has over 18 years experience as a dramaturg working with various styles of project and process. She can read and respond to your work or lend an ear to listen. She can also help you stay accountable to your goals for the retreat or just give you a pat on the back when you need it.
– Daily gatherings with formal and informal exchanges and discussions about the work and what is inspiring/challenging us.
– A couple of optional excursions off the Farm during the week to explore the area.
What is required of the playwright:
– To be available to attend the Retreat the week of May 17-26, 2019.
– Travel to the Farm or Kelowna airport would be the participant’s responsibility.
– Any materials needed to create the project (i.e. computers, portable music instruments, etc.)
– A $100 contribution to the costs of the Retreat.
– Participants will be asked to acknowledge the involvement of the Caravan Farm Theatre National Playwrights Retreat in the development of their project in subsequent production materials and published plays.
How to apply:
There are 5 cabins available for successful applicants at the 2019 retreat.
Please submit an application no more than three pages in length including:
– Your bio (approx. 250 words)
– A description of your project and what its development history and trajectory is. A project that is still in its idea form is perfectly acceptable. We just want to know where you plan to be with your project as of the retreat.
– Why do you want to come to the Caravan Farm Theatre?
– How would this retreat contribute to the development of your project?
Application deadline: Friday November 29, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. PST.
Please email applications to: email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed by Artistic & Managing Director Estelle Shook and National Playwrights Retreat Director and Dramaturg Vicki Stroich.
Applicants will be informed of the results of their application by January 31, 2019